Spellbrook is a voluntary controlled Church of England Primary School founded in 1891, by public subscription, to provide education ‘…according to the principles and practices of the Church of England’. It remains legally owned by the trustees of its Church of England Foundation, but is now controlled by Hertfordshire Local Education Authority, which has accepted full financial responsibility for its maintenance. Our mission is to provide the best education for each child within the context of a caring, Christian community. The church of Great St. Mary’s in Sawbridgeworth remains represented on its governing body, and is still fostering links between the school, the church and the local community
With a school roll reaching a maximum capacity at any one time of 120 pupils it is a small mixed day school for pupils from aged three (rising fours) to eleven years of age. It is set in fantastic grounds dedicated to outdoor learning. The school has a woodland, outdoor learning hut, wildflower meadow with activity path, tarmac playground and sports fields. All four classrooms also have their own outdoor area developed to suit the ages and activity needs of the children using them. The school has a parent/visitors car park, with a separate car park for staff and deliveries.
The original buildings of 1891 are still in use and contain a classroom, library and a small teaching unit, which is also used for food technology an office and staff room. Later development in the 1960’s provides three further classrooms, a small school hall and school kitchen. In 2011 a secure and welcoming reception area to receive visitors was added along with a new school office, meeting room and improved toilet facilities.